Late Friday last week, I discovered a bump on Murphy's right front leg about midway between his paw and elbow. Up until then we had suspected the slight limp he'd been expressing was paw related.
Since the vet in New Baden, we've consulted with three others all of whom felt that the problem was either soft tissue or more recently, tendon related from to the type of booties he's been wearing.
Now we know it may be more serious. We traveled back to the Bryan/College Station area to see Dr. Rogers, a vet oncologist with Texas A&M Veterinary School. After she, an orthopedic surgeon, and a radiologist reviewed his X-Rays, we are hopeful that the bone lesion is either from physical trauma or an infection of some sort, so much so that we decided that a biopsy is not warranted at this time.
For now, rest, Rimadyl, and a 30 day regimen of antibiotics seems the most sensible course. No one wants a hole drilled in Murphy's bone unless absolutely necessary. There's a lot of hope to hold on to here. The plan is to find a place for him to rest for the next two weeks after which time, we'll take another radiograph to see if the lesion has changed. That should tell us more than we know now.
We are looking for a home in the Jacksonville, TX area so if you have a place to put up the ole boy while Hudson and I get back on the road, we'd be grateful. Food and treats will be provided so there won't be any expense involved. Please contact email@example.com
I have arranged a news interview later today at A&M to inform everyone of the situation and assure you that the walk will continue even if the outcome is cancer. We have contingency plans in place for that eventuality. One way or another, we're all getting to Boston together.
The photo nearby was taken last Saturday at the Music Awards after I learned the news. The event was great but for me, the day was an emotional rollercoaster. I'm glad I decided to attend anyway since he got so much love and affection there. Please keep Murphy in your prayers and we'll keep you updated.