Sunday, May 31, 2009

Murphy Sammich

Murphy turned 8 this past Sunday, May 31st and I had this idea of making something really special for my little snowflake.

We've been through a lot together - he was rescued from an abusive home and came into my and Malcolm's lives as a wee lad. And with a whole host of behavioral problems, too! He used to run around my townhome peeing in a continuous stream like writing in cursive and he hated my wallpaper, preferring rather the rustic look of shredded sheetrock.

Malcolm helped him through these issues and years later, Murphy became the loyal brother to Malcolm as he went through cancer, amputation, and chemotherapy. Murphy's strength helped me deal with his loss..

This is his second birthday we've celebrated on the road and I wanted it to be Murphy's very best and that means one thing - Food! His favorite being, of course, The Honest Kitchen and that became the inspiration behind the Murphy Sammich...

Step (1) Purchase two pizza pie crusts in a package like Boboli. I used Kroger brand - it's thinner and didn't have seasonings.

Step (2) In a bowl, take 2 cups of the Honest Kitchen's Embark (that's what Murphy loves but you can substitute it for Force, Verve, etc.), add 3-4 cups of water, then stir thoroughly. You want it a tad watery since it'll be baked. Spread on the bottom pizza crust.

Steps (3): Add cheese - I think I used 10 slices of American cheese.

Step (4): Cook 8 strips of bacon in a microwave and after they've cooled, tear them up into pieces, placing them on top of the cheese.

Step (5): Place the second pizza crust on top making the 'sammich' and put it into a pre-heated 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

Step (6): Let it cool then decorate with Cheese Whiz. Like a dunderhead, I tried to cut it with a pizza cutter first and the result was pretty much as you'd expect. Not much to look at but boy, was it a hit at the birthday party! Then again, I'm a walker not a baker! Enjoy...

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday Hudson! I made a donation to Operation Troop Appreciation in your honor today - what a great organization! Looking forward to seeing you all in the Harrisburg area later this year.