Friday, November 9, 2012

Raising Indiana: EPI

Pretty much since I first adopted the FLP (Funny Looking Pyrenees) it's been impossible to put weight on him.  Plus he's been like a stomach on four legs with an insatiable appetite and he resource guards food like Louis CK takes to Cinnabons.  

Now we think we know why.  

Back in Cincinnati I had Dr. Carey at the Care Center take a look at him and after I gave a thorough history, he suggested Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency or EPI as a diagnostic theory.  His bloodwork got screwed up so we decided to start him on pancreatic supplements to test the theory and in less than a month, lil Nanna has put on 7 pounds.  

Hudson and Indiana are with Mommy G in Memphis for the next month while Tish and I are finishing up filming for the documentary but now that the Tour is over, I'm trying to learn as much about the disorder as possible.  

But what I know of it so far is it's nutritionally manageable with pancreatic enzyme supplements and, thank god, it shouldn't limit his longevity at all or prevent him from having a happy, normal, baby Moose life.

It's only been a few days but I miss Moosey and when I see him in December, I'm gonna buy him a Cinnabon.  

No comments: