Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Regarding Hudson

Even though we're a few months away from the start of our Walk 2, there are already grumblings in the background.  Some of the planning and preparation aspects of the excursion are still underway and I can't respond to them yet but the loudest one I can.   

Let me begin by saying thanks to all of those voicing their concern about Hudson's health.  To me, that speaks to your love of my little boy and that you care enough to stand up for his safety.  Can't thank you enough.  

In a few weeks time, on our way down south to start phase II of our training in warmer climates, Hudson will have a full evaluation of his health, physical condition, and road readiness by a vet.  Muscle strength, joints, tendons, pads, etc. will all be examined.  

But that won't be the last evaluation.  As we train together, I'll be assessing his weight bearing capacity and stamina amongst other things.  Keep in mind Murphy, too, was 7 years old when we left Austin and on a much bigger frame than Hudson.  
The second concern we've received is regarding Hudson's cancer.  We got the best possible prognosis from his two path reports combined with wide margins and there's a 95% chance of no recurrence within two years.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion about this understandably but getting The DX, diagnosis as I call it, shouldn't automatically be a death sentence nor life limiting.

My route and start and finish dates have been finalized.  We'll launch from Vancouver the weekend of May 10th and arrive in San Diego the weekend of November 1st.  That's approximately 1,600 miles or roughly 65 miles a week of walking for the fuzzybutts and me.

Lil' Nana will be fine.  Hell, it'll be hard to get him to stop at 65.

But the question, it seems, is will that be too much and too taxing for Hudzers?   

--------  

My last thoughts for you in the wee hours of Wednesday morning is one of the main reasons Hudson and Murphy and I made it as far and as long on the road was because we weren't hot dogging it out there.  Pun intended.  

I didn't take unnecessary or uncalculated risks and, equally important, I had contingency plans in place.  My job was to get the fab fuzzybutts from point A to point B safely.  Walk 2 won't be any different.

Phase II of training entails working with both boys separately and in tandem.   Even still, that probably won't answer the question.  Nor will even the most skilled and learned veterinarian be able to say whether Walk 2 will increase the risk for a recurrence of cancer in Hudson.

--------

I must press ahead with reason, faith, and the love of my boys as my guide.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We are all here for a reason,safe journey to you all :)

Unknown said...

We have all gotten attached to Hudson and forget he's done this before. He also has the best guardian and little brother that he could ever ask for. He'll do great!

Puppy Up!

Unknown said...

We have all gotten attached to Hudson and forget he's done this before. He also has the best guardian and little brother that he could ever ask for. He'll do great!

Puppy Up!