Saturday, August 9, 2014

One Week Til V Day

A week from today our good friend Valerie from CT is flying to CA to join us on the road for a week.  In her words she wants to experience what our life is like out here and not just walking a mile or a day.  Yep pack, tent, she'll be carrying her on weight.  I've invited her to guest blog here so we can discuss last minute preparations and she can share her side of the adventure.

V - 

I shed my base layers, tops and bottoms in Brookings & I've regretted it since.  Temps in Northern California, or at least this stretch of it ave low 60s in the day and 50s at night.  Sweltering heat from the rogue valley pulls high afternoon winds and fog banks and unless I'm in my tent snuggled up with the boys I'm chilled by the damp air.  

But as I've found along the coastline from Newport OR to here there are different microclimates distinct to each of the areas.

The redwood forests are right around the bend and I can't speak to the climate there yet.  My suggestion is pack lightweight base layers - silk, which I prefer, or wicking synthetic.  Fleece just adds more pack weight & don't think you'll need the heavier fabric.

Shoes - hope you have that worked out by now. Don't know why the vasques cause toe cramping - I love mine - but each foot has different demands.  But that has to be resolved ASAP.  Like fletcher wrote - footwear is the foundation - get that wrong and you won't make it a week.

Don't worry about packing first aid sundries - I keep sufficient supply.  Also I pack a multi tool, extra carabiners, zip ties etc.  

I'm worldly enough to know NOT to tell a woman what grooming/cosmetics to pack but since you'll be carrying your own food and water the pounds add up.  I have nail clippers (since I have to keep toes ultra short) razor & cream (travel size) and axe spray for when I'm in public and haven't had a chance to shower or do laundry.

You'll probably want to bring soap since most campgrounds have showers but I wouldn't expect that luxury more than once during the week.  

Other essentials in your pack - a cpl of ziplock bags to keep your electronics dry, poncho (even though I've only used mine twice in the 3 months on the road), a chamois or microfiber towel, sunblock (I don't carry any), a pkg of wipes or rinse free hand soap, bug spray (though I haven't had much of a problem thus far and I recommend skin so soft rather than a deet based product).  

Pillow - if your body contour requires it but I don't afford the space for one and instead use my clothes sack plus my pack for a head rest but it's not terribly comfortable but comfort is a notion you'll have to divorce yourself of quickly.  

Once you arrive next Saturday and pick us up from the road we'll have the balance of the day to do a gear check and purchase any last minute provisions.  But these are mostly small coastal communities out here - no walmarts, best buys or REIs.

Hope your training is going well but don't push yourself after Thursday. Stick to stretching exercises.  As cell service is questionable up in the forests, post your questions or last minute concerns here....

No comments: