Friday, October 26, 2012

The Homeless Chef: Rustic Rosemary Roast Stew

I've only been in the kitchen a couple of times during the Summer of Murphy tour and it was time fer me to get back in there and make a sammich damnit!  

Except it was chilly in Connecticut at Dawn's house and I was in the mood for a hearty, savory, rustic stew.  Here's what I worked up:

Fry a half pound of bacon, remove, then add a stick of butter to the grease to sear the pork roast on all four sides.  reduce heat and saute garlic and onions in the pan with the roast.  

Fill the pan up with beef stock and bring to a boil.  I would've made my own if I had time but I used Swansons a base and built the stock up from there by adding maple sugar, Sriracha, red wine, and a few other savory seasonings like cumin and cayenne pepper.  Remember, when it comes to sauces it's all about sweet and heat.  

Next, add fresh rosemary and lemon thyme sprigs to the broth and simmer for a couple of hours depending on how many pounds the pork roast is packin.  About an hour out from serving time, add mushrooms, carrots, and fingerling potatoes to add to the heartiness of the stew.  

I'm always trying to build up layers of flavors you can saute the mushrooms in wine and butter first and I also recommend roasting the potatoes and garlic, too.  Just didn't have the time for that.  

I think next time I make this I'm going to use roasted autumn veggies like butternut squash and brussel sprouts for the stew... Until then... Puppy Up and Chow Down!

No comments: