Friday, November 28, 2014

Surviving Southern California

Most days I feel like I'm a strange man in a strange land especially since I'm a Texan wearing a skirt for the entire length of the west coast.

We've made the coastal turn to the SoCal Bight somewhere around Point Conception, it's an inflection point - a concavity actually, that naturally delineates between central and Southern California.  

But it's more than that.  It's the point at which the cold coastal waters start to warm and the tides begin to downwell.  Too warm for the sweet succulent Dungeness crab.  

The mid afternoon fog banks that roll in almost on schedule to cool us down no more.  Where the sun hovers over the Pacific Ocean all day long and days like today which confuses the hell outta me since there's gotta be shade at some point throughout the day.  I mean - 'rise in the east set in the west' thing I once learned.

The turn also marks the final descent to our seventh month west coast walk.  I write this from our tent, technically in Malibu but only a mile or so south of Neptune's net where I had my thanksgiving meal - a disastrous tale for another time.

Heck I'm just thankful that we made it this far alive. I recently met a cyclist who travelled most of what we just did save 20 to Newport OR, 154 into SB & a few other crazy dangerous stretches & he said what the hell were you thinking?

Well, we just gotta get to LA was my answer.  Isn't that the crux of the west coast?  The hub of the hubbub out here?  

We're almost there - mere days away.  Keep hoping Ellen is there to greet us.  Or at least the kardashians aren't cuz we're too tired to turn back.

--------

YBD's Notes:  I put the last paragraph in there to, in my own way, thank everyone who've tried to get us on the Ellen Show.  As I have learned along the way 'Les chiens ne font pas des chats'. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...Or at least the kardashians aren't cuz we're too tired to turn back." Excellent! You may be dog-tired but you still have a sense of humor. (Run away! Run away!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah... SoCal is a whole n'other ballgame. Safe travels to both of you & watch yourselves around the beaches. ;)